This is an adaption of a traditional Welsh Rarebit as this recipe doesn’t have any beer in it (mainly because I don’t usually have any at home but feel free to use it). I wanted it to be made from things I often have available, and who doesn’t like a bit of delicious melty cheese?
Ingredients (makes approx 4 slices)
2 cups grated mature white cheddar (creamy variety of your choice)*
1/3 cup chopped green onions
1 tablespoon mayonnaise*
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce*
1/2 teaspoon mustard
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
4 thick slices of fresh bread (I used a sourdough loaf)
*substitute these for vegan varieties, if required
measuring cups and spoons
1. | Heat oven to 375º
2. | Line a baking sheet with parchment, then set aside.
3. | Put all ingredients into a medium bowl and stir together until well combined.
4. | Spoon the cheese mixture onto four slices of bread and place them on the lined baking sheet.
5. | Heat in the oven for 10-14 minutes until the cheese has melted and turned golden brown and bubbly.
6. | Let cool for a few minutes then enjoy!
If you’re curious about how Welsh Rarebit came about, you can read about it here.