This seasonal recipe for Pumpkin Cake Roll is easier than you may think and has a really fresh, airy and not overly sweet spiced pumpkin flavour. It’s a perfect Fall treat that tastes as delicious and as impressive as it looks!
Ingredients (makes 8-10 servings)
3 eggs, beaten
1 cup white sugar
2/3 cup pumpkin puree
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons ground pumpkin spice
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
For the Frosting:
8oz plain cream cheese
2 tablespoons butter, softened
1 cup confectioner’s sugar*
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
*you may need up to 1.5 cups of confectioner’s sugar depending on the consistency of the frosting that you want (don’t make it too stiff as it has to be easily spread)
10×15 inch jelly roll pan
measuring cups and spoons
1. | Preheat oven to 375º
2. | Line the jelly roll pan with parchment then set aside.
3. | In a small, separate bowl, mix together the flour and baking soda – set aside.
4. | Using an electric mixer, combine the eggs, white sugar, pumpkin puree, cinnamon and ground pumpkin spice. Then add the flour mix and combine using the electric mixer until smooth.
5. | Evenly spread the pumpkin mixture over the prepared jelly roll pan (it will look very thin but don’t worry).
6. | Bake for 12 to 15 minutes in the preheated oven or until just turning golden and the sponge is set. Leave to cool for about 10 minutes.
7. | Remove cake from the jelly pan by lifting out the parchment and placing it on a flat, clean surface – but do not remove the parchment from the cake as you are going to roll the cake with it still on.
8. | Roll up the cake carefully and fairly tight with the parchment still on (this stops it from sticking to itself). Place seam side down and leave to cool in the fridge while you make the frosting.
9. | Using an electric mixer, combine the cream cheese, butter, vanilla extract and confectioner’s sugar until smooth and the consistency is firm yet easily spreadable.
10. | Carefully unroll the cake — keep it on the parchment — and then evenly spread on the frosting. Roll up the cake again but this time carefully peel off the parchment as you go.
11. | Tightly wrap in plastic wrap and put in the fridge until ready to serve, sprinkling with confectioner’s sugar before you do.
Let me know if you make this and how it turns out!