Depending on what’s happening in our lives; it can sometimes be challenging to reflect on what we’re working through and remind ourselves about how far we’ve come. We all need moments where we get to pause and celebrate what has gone well and reflect on the progress made; especially if we’re in the middle of some kind of struggle.
Here are 8 Beneficial Mental Health Writing Prompts …
1. | Name one thing you are grateful for and how it improves your day-to-day.
2. | What have you overcome in the past that you thought you wouldn’t be able to? Reflect on what you did and how this helped you.
3. | What have you made progress with recently? Think about your next step and what you can do today to accomplish it.
4. | What coping mechanisms do you use that work really well for you? Is there anything new you can add to your mental health toolkit that helps with your nerves or anxiety?
5. | List 3 activities that help you support your mental, emotional and/or physical health. When was the last time you did them? If you can, do at least one of them today.
6. | If you were talking to yourself like you were one of your friends, what advice/support would you give? Are you as kind, forgiving and encouraging to yourself as you are to them? Make a point of using positive self-talk whenever you can.
7. | What self-care activities help with your mental, emotional and/or physical health? When was the last time you did them? When can you do them next?
8. | When were your fears about something proven wrong? What did you learn from this?
Even though these are listed as writing prompts, you don’t need to write anything down if you don’t want to. They’re just as effective when used for thoughtful contemplation. If undertaken regularly, these prompts could improve how we react to and tackle things that test us in the future.
Be sure to take the time you need to look after yourself. You’re worth it.
Which writing prompts will you try?
NAMI Helpline – a free, nationwide U.S. resource that offers experienced peer-support guidance and advice
CheckPoint – global (by country) resources for mental health support